Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah Cancer Institute (BBCI) was set up by a voluntary organization called 'Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Society Trust'. Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah (4th September 1893 - 25th September 1956) was a great physician, freedom fighter and philanthropist of Assam. In 1958 at a public meeting in Guwahati, a decision was taken to set up a cancer hospital at Guwahati to commemorate the memory of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah. Late Dr. Kanak Chandra Borooah, illustrious brother of Dr. Bhubaneswar Borooah was the Founder Secretary. Late Bimala Prasad Chaliha, Debendra Nath Sarma, Mahendra Mohan Choudhury, Bishnuram Medhi, Dr. Ghanashyam Das, Dr Birendra Nath Choudhury and many others worked relentlessly from its inception. The Institute was formally inaugurated on 18th November 1973 and became operational from 1974. The Institute was recognized as Regional Cancer Centre by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India in the year 1980. On 6th of August, 1986 the Institute was handed over to the Government of Assam by the B Borooah Cancer Society Trust retaining its autonomy. The First Tripartite Agreement for revitalization of the Institute involving the North Eastern Council, Government of Assam and the Department of Atomic Energy, Govt. of India became operational from November 1989. The Second Tripartite Agreement became effective from 1st April 1998 till 31st March 2004. The Third Tripartite Agreement involving the same parties effective from 1st of April 2004 for 5 years. The agreement was extended till 31 st March 2012 with North Eastern Council as nodal agency. The Board of Directors in its meeting held at New Delhi on 24 th February 2011 decided to enter into 4 th Tripartite Agreement w.e.f. 1 st April 2012 to 31 st March 2017.
The Institute is located at Gopinath Nagar, Guwahati, Assam in a plot of land covering an area of 14.2 acres (43 bighas).
It is a 200-bedded Hospital at present. There is a 100 bedded guest house inside the hospital premises for ambulatory patients and their relatives. The Institute also has residential campus for the employees.
At present, there are 28 AC cabins out of which 18 are AC and 10 are non-AC cabins. There is a 8 bedded ICU which state of the art technology. The Institute has CSSD, Biomedical Waste Disposal Unit (Hydroclave System) and Hospital Laundry of its own.
A DBT Centre for Molecular Biology and Cancer Research was started in February 2010. The Institute has Population and Hospital Based Cancer Registry under National Cancer Registry Programme of Indian Council of Medical Research. It is involved in many research projects at present. Post Graduate Programmes in medical and para-medical subjects are also conducted by the Institute. Some of the courses are affiliated to Gauhati University. The Government of Assam has already issued NOC for affiliation of Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute under Srimanta Sankardeva University of Health Sciences, Assam. Inspection by team of experts from the University has been completed and the Institute is likely to be affiliated shortly. Dr. B. Borooah Cancer Institute has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Dutch School of Gynaecologic Oncology and Pelvic Surgery, Netherlands to start Post Graduate Fellowship Programme in Gynaecologic Oncology. Many research papers have been published from the Institute in the international journals.
There are approximately 350 employees at present.
The latest technique of radiotherapy like CT simulation, 3D-CRT and IMRT was introduced in the year 2007. In the year 2011, 3 rd Unit of Linear Accelerator with IGRT and frameless SRS / SRT for both cranial and extra cranial application will be introduced.
The future project includes PET-CT, Tomotherapy and Radiation Medicine Centres.